Not Even a Memory?

Monday, July 24, 2006

This thought is related to the previous posts I have read regarding text messaging cell phones, internet chat and other forms of communicative ephemera, though in the opposite direction. Whereas those topic were about the inanity and lack of value in those forms of communication, I’m writing about that which has value yet is no more likely to last through time.

This is something I noticed a while ago, and thought about while watching some History Channel programs. One of the most valuable tools for later generations to gain insight into what things were truly like back in the time period that they are trying to learn of is nothing less than personal letters.

You see, proclamations, books, great speeches and carved stone tablets are valuable and informative, but they are all, shall I say… less than candid. They are written by people who are at least trying to influence their contemporaries, and at worst they are also spinning their work to provide a certain viewpoint the author wants those in later generations to have of him or her. Granted, even the most heavily spun political speech written by Abe Lincoln was a veritable literary wonder compared to the empty-of-content populist tripe that 99% of modern politicians promulgate.

But it’s the letters written by people alive at the time to each other that really tell you what it was like back in whatever era. From feudal Japan's poets, to Victorian midwives and US Civil War soldiers. And the letters written by famous (or not so famous) literary authors to their friends are worth more to some of us that the actual stories for which they are renowned.

But we are now at a dangerous time in our history. We have stopped writing things down. I don’t mean writing to each other, but actually creating a hardcopy document that captures in a physical medium the thoughts or exchanges between people. E-mails or web posts are not real. They have no physical presence and they can be deleted or worse, altered, by the author or even by completely different people at a later time to manipulate the perception those in the future would have of them. Not to mention they are stored as nothing more than binary bits on magnetic disks, subject to any well timed virus or electromagnetic pulse wiping them out. Even optical storage, though more durable, requires complicated equipment to decode and display, something that can be in issue if there are decades between the time it was stored and the time it will be read. A piece of paper just requires that the person be literate. Even a damaged or partial document is legible, but just a scratch or slight warp on a disk can obliterate everything stored on it.

Because of all that, I propose that we all do something to try and mitigate this potential black hole in history for future generations; print things out.

Now I’m not saying print out your e-mails and weblogs in a massive leather bound volume and sealed in a time capsule that is voided of air and temperature controlled. Hardly any of the historical letters we look at today were stored with any more care than being shoved in a cigar box in someone’s desk drawer.

Even just the act of printing things out, preferably with a date, and storing them in an envelope in a box in the attic is doing something for future historians to get a glance into what we may consider mundane, but to them is a priceless reliquary of our lives.

The only things to keep in mind however is the quality of the hardcopy, both in paper and in the ink used. Much of the cheaper pulp paper and some of the inks used by the dot matrix printers of the 80’s simply don’t last very long even when protected. So it may be best to use decent quality (not exorbitantly priced, mind you) paper for this. I have no idea of the long term potential for perpetuity of your typical HP printer ink/toner.

But it’s worth a small amount of trouble.

And most important, don’t think your not interesting enough for people to care what your thoughts are. The very fact that you aren’t “tainted” by the spectacle of public presence means the opinions you have in many ways carry more weight than those of the loudest voices of our time.

So take a moment and kill some trees. Your great great grandkids will be grateful.

21 comments:

All my webcomics are in hard copy in some stage or another, as are my paintings

Christopher said...

Better yet, write and print your memoirs on quality paper, and include important, socially relevant correspondence and protect it in a temperature and humidity controlled envoronment.

Why not? Someday far in the future, people will want to knoe how we lived day to day in this age of informations exponential expansion.

Plus, it beats the crap out of scrap booking.

Toyi said...

This is what I think of history at some point, history is always somebody's opinion, there is no real proof that what people wrote was neutral so...
e.i. I can write lots of stupidities about Bush, bury it... people will discover it 100 years later and they will think about the script as a valuable fact, even if is just an opinion.

Christopher said...

Yeah. Opinions are stupid. They shed no light on what actually happened.

"This is what I think of history at some point, history is always somebody's opinion, there is no real proof that what people wrote was neutral so... "

What about the Bible? That's history.

Nada said...

Toyi,

If you really think history is that purely subjective then I guess there isn’t much point to learning anything about it then, is there?

The letters of US civil war soldiers to their families aren’t valuable because they show the "True Facts" of what happened. They are valuable because they show you what the common man or woman alive at the time was experiencing and how they chose to interpret it.

Not all history is opinion. Things were recorded by multiple sources to such an extent that you can have great confidence that, for instance, slavery was practiced in the America’s, that San Fran was demolished by an earthquake in 1906. That Japan attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.

Yes, some things are more open to debate than others, but that is not sufficient reason to discount everything you read about history as being only opinions.

Toyi said...

I don't think some dates are opinions that is why I said "At some point" why we learn history? oh if we were never pushed to go to school when we were kids, maybe we wouldn't have learn history, I don't mean that what you say doesn't make sense, it does at some point.

Christopher said...

Don't bother. She'll just get Jesus to yell at you...

Nada said...

Jesus yelled at me yestderday. Or at least some guy on the street corner, who said he was Jesus, yelled at me... He did have long hair and a beard, smelled a little funny.

Asked for some change right after yelling at me. I said I didn't have any and he yelled at me again.

So i'm kinda used to Jesus being mad at me.

Toyi said...

Murk just have female issues...

Christopher said...

Yup. I have female issues. Or, issues with females. They're nuts and I still can't seem to shoot them.

That and they chase me for sex... disgusting.

How are things with you and Hobbs going?

Toyi, be careful about making bold sweeping statements. There is more to any picture than what you see. Blindly putting your faith in God, thinking all history is opinion. That is startling in its polar opposition. Its good to not trust what you are taught (history), but then to just say God has the power, I'll trust in this one book written hundreds of years ago, well that's just damn naive.

When you realize that you are part of God(dess), and that book is an affront to the idea of God(dess), and that as good you do what thou wilt, well, you'll see.

Christopher said...

Don't bother Hobbs. She left. I pissed her off and she left. bennie is going to kill me. He really loved her.

Maybe it's when I swore at her in Spanish.

but i thought in spanish words had no meaning!

Toyi said...

Uhm, I don't know what language I have to write no more... I said "At some point" and I also said "I THink" this means is my opinion is not a bold statement.

Toyi said...

If you think I like to play God (ess) then fine I am, lets just go along with that lol

Christopher said...

I play Godess in my toolshed. Reasonable rates. Email with any questions.

Toyi said...

Mua e mail you?

Christopher said...

I Love You!

I HEART TEH MURKS!

Toyi said...

just don't hate me.. that will be enough for me, don't make me feel compromised.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0