A tough fight, fairly won.

Friday, May 05, 2006


I took the quiz linked below and got good old Cap as a result. Full disclosure; Cap was my favorite comic book growing up. And, after looking at the severely limited choices for a result, there was really no one else who would be close. Not a survey full of nuance. Also, I really didn't know some of the other characters who were listed as possible results, it's been (wow) almost 15 years since I collected comic books.

Anyway, I started to think about why I liked Cap so much as a kid. I was patriotic. I liked the idea of clear cut good versus evil. I liked to see someone stick by their ideals. Also, I was a bit of a contrarian - most of my friends thought Cap was not a good comic and also thought Cap was out of date. So, as a contrarian, that made me like him all the more. It was like an extra bonus.

Of course, it was all make believe. The stories always put Cap in a tough fight that he could win fairly; idealistic situations for an idealistic character.

In the way of idealism, I still identify with Cap. Of course, I left the service by resigning, not by being shot off on a rocket and plummeted into the Arctic. In the real world, however, I was an idealistic person in not so idealistic situations. There was no maniacal Red Skull to fight, just a George Bush to try to deal with. Evil doesn't really create super secret compounds filled with goons. Real evil has a smiling face and tells you how good it is and how good you are for supporting it. Turns out, the only way I could fight evil was by refusing to take it's paycheck anymore.

Throwing a shield would have been much more satisfying.

3 comments:

Cap = Angry Veteran

Toyi said...

BLA captain america doesn't save the entire world lol

YPG said...

Didn't the Cap. get his powers by the use of some kind of super steroids?

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0