The Post of eXtreme Moderation +4

Saturday, May 20, 2006

When I saw the Wiki WOW (R.I.P.) description of myself as a "moderate Christian" I was somewhat upset. Not upset as in angry, per se, but it unsettled me. Being only 16, it is reasonable for me to assume that I know very little. However, I was always of the opinion that my faith was deep. Odd how a simple fragment used as an obligatory description of a random blogger got said random blogger's noggin ticking. I just had to know.

I started with the definition of moderate: "Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme." Good enough for me. I saw then that "moderate" was subjective and relative to the extremes. One can only be labeled "moderate" when compared to the extremes. I was starting to get it.

I, Hojo, am no extremist. I've always labeled myself a Christian realist. I have faith, I worship God, and religion is foremost in importance to me. I acknowledge that I can not know everything and I am unable to understand the ways of God. In life I have only what I believe is the right path rather than a physical path to follow. How can one be an extremist if he or she does not know if their extreme is the right extreme? My faith and my ability to think rationally go hand-in-hand to form who I am.
All of this was just starting to fall into place when my history teacher showed us this video in class. It made sense! I don't use religion as a platform for use in political indoctrination. I don't think every casualty is a cause for celebration because it is proof that God hates everyone. I don't go to funerals to preach against the deceased in front of their mourning families. Why don't I think these things? It's because I think.

With this knowledge I am at rest. I am no longer afraid of being judged as less-than-Christian because I have seen the extremes who spew judgment from their lips. I will always pale when compared to the extremes. Moderate Christian? Hell yes I am.

4 comments:

I label myself as a pagan, gnostic, something or other.

Toyi said...

Claps, Hojo I believe you are the most aproaching to the difference btw following God and Religion, I was used to get frustrated when I was cut short trying to explain people that there is a difference... God message is not easy to follow and has its bases but when things go twisted like this is when I realize that religion is way far from God.

Dr. Mantodea said...

That's good to hear Hojo,

When we godless-atheists-liberals finally take over the USA, you can rest assured that we will reserve the least horrible concentration camps for moderate Christians such as yourself.

I promise, swear to God, even.

I am also a God Fearing agnostic

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0