Bad People Don't Deserve Your Help.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

At first I didn't understand why some people actually have such a hardon for hating the unfortunate. I see this aimed at homeless people, poor people on welfare, drug addicts, troubled youth, illegal immigrants etc...

Homeless people for example, seem to be the object of great spite by many otherwise nice middle-class people. As soon as they see a homeless person they spit out invective poison at them. Yet the homeless are people who most of us really have no idea about. You don't know these people. You don't know if they are homeless because they are mentally ill, or because they ran away from a sexually abusive stepfather, or because they are just having a shitty spat of luck, or if they are just being "lazy". You know nothing about them, yet you automatically cast derision on them as a group, as if they all share some kind of common characteristic other than being homeless.

Then it hit me. The reason why you want to hate them is because then it's easy to not feel guilty about not doing anything to help them. You see, they are "Bad People" and bad people don't deserve your help, because they deserve what they get.

Who are bad people? Well let's see if I can make a list from memory;

Drug addicts, because they should have known when they were 16 that addiction was such a powerful force, and thus avoided giving in to peer pressure. And if they wanted to turn their life around they would just "buck up" and clean up their lives.

Teenagers who engage in unprotected sex, and thus get pregnant or get HIV. Again, because there is nothing more evil than a young person who is not acting like a responsible adult.

Welfare mothers, (their kids are also bad people since the Bible says that sins of the father shall be visited upon the son.)

Homeless pan handlers, because they get to loaf around all day getting handouts.

Illegal immigrants, because they have cheated our fair and balanced legal system and are letting themselves be exploited by American businesses.

Residents in the Developing World (or Iraq for that matter), because they are all just savages who want to do nothing but kill each other. None of them actually want to make a better life or change anything. They just like being slaughtered by rebel factions on Monday and government forces on Tuesday and then a natural disaster on Wednesday.

As you can clearly see, these are all Bad People, because good people have jobs. Good people don't do drugs. Good people don't make life-ruining choices when young. Good people have houses, they go to church, and they pay their taxes. Good people don't live in bad places, and they certainly don't stay there, since it's so easy to immigrate legally to where good people like us live.

How convenient that good people don't really need any fucking help, unless you consider lending them your hedge clippers or giving their kids a lift to the soccer game to be helping them.

So I've figured it out. It's the way you people deal with guilt. You can't handle just honestly saying you don't want to help those who are having a shitty life, after all, that would be Un-Christian (Un-Muslim, Un-Humanist, Un-American, whatever). Bad people get what they deserve and therefore you don't need to feel as bad about stepping over them when they are lying passed out on the street.

So give up trying to fool the rest of us with your long drawn out reason for why some unfortunate person is not worthy of your pity. Because you would save a lot of time by just being honest about the fact that you just don't want to give a flying fuck about anyone who actually requires real help.

It's okay, you're certainly not alone in that sentiment. You're in the company of a large number of other Good People ™.

18 comments:

It is all about perception. I work etensively with the homeless. When I tell a typical person someone is homeless, what comes to their mind? A smelly unkept man, pushing a shopping cart, either drunk or muttering to themselves. Well, that is the SMALL miniority of who is homeless.

The majority of homeless are single moms with 2 or more kids. The leading causes of homelessness? Addiction, domestic violence, mental illness, and job loss, all within percentage points of each other. With the way this countries economy is going, the largest increase of homeless? Famiies (Mom, Dad, and Kids).

The same goes for this disabled. If I talk to a typical person, and talk about someone who in mentally retarded or mentally ill? They immediately think of someone who is institutionalized . . . this is the smallest majority of those class of people. You might be shocked to discover the people you know who are recieveing services for disabilities from state and federal government.

The is a saying in this field. You are all one car accident away from being that disabled person.

Toyi said...

You know I am involved in Church a lot and I have notice when we have public activities (Like Carwashes) people that use our services ask sometimes what in specific the money is going to be for... (Counting that they already know that is a church activity) what is behind that question? "If apeals to them is good to help and if not they won't help?".
I personally don't make my head spin that hard, if my heart feels like I need to give something away I do it w/o regrets or remorse or questions, at the end is not about who did you help, is about your good action, that is what it counts, if the other party deceived me (by looking that way) than is their problem cause even asking "why do you need this for?" is a fool question cause you can still be conned if that is what you want to avoid.

So basically "When I want to help I do it w/o looking at their resumes,If I don't want to help then I feel free not to, but is a personal attitude I don't base it on how they are dressing or what they are doing, asking why this why that is just a perfect excuse to cover the fact that you just don't want to help them.

Anonymous said...

They can all go Hell, all go to Hell and die!

Tainted~Love said...

I've been there and lived it. It's hard thing to overcome, but the bright side is it can be done. People will always point out "oh those are the bad ones ...and those are the good ones", it's just a fact of life.

I like to consider myself a good person, for I help without judgment and I haven't killed anyone ...yet. *laffs* But to the next person I could be on of the bad ones because I don't go to church, or because of other reasons they might have.

Great post ...Dr. Mantodea.

Christopher said...

Great Post. Agreed.

But I think you should reconsider:

quote: "It's the way you people deal with guilt. You can't handle just honestly saying you don't want to help those who are having a shitty life, after all, that would be Un-Christian (Un-Muslim, Un-Humanist, Un-American, whatever). Bad people get what they deserve and therefore you don't need to feel as bad about stepping over them when they are lying passed out on the street."

It certainly implies that anyone who is Patriotic or Religious (Intentional Capitalization) is guilty of this.

Now now, I'm not picking a fight here. I'm smart enough to know that's 'not what you said'. I worry that the rest of the idiots will believe that only liberal, atheis/agnostic, America hating people have sympathy for the poor and suffering.

Is the far right less sympathetic? In general, yes. But not all of the far right are.

Excellent analysis, I find myself a bit jealous.

Dr. Murk, in Mantodea's defense, he did specifically call out the Humanists; not just the Religious or Patriotic.

I'd also like to just add that bankruptcy caused by medical emergencies suffered by the uninsured is a rapidly growing casue of homelessness. We can all help stop the financial devastation that leads to homelessness by demanding health care for all Americans.

Dr. Mantodea said...

Just so we are clear, on Dr. Murk’s point, as he alluded to, that is indeed not the intent of the phrase in question. Rather it is meant to say the reason why anyone would feel the need to justify their callousness is out of a feeling of guilt which stems from those religions/philosophical leanings telling us that we should do better by those who are worse off.

Oh.. and since it’s required in my WoW contract to be adversarial to the Good Doctor; I’ll just finish off by saying “Fuck You Murk, your dad tells me that your ass smells like your mother’s mouthwash!”

Christopher said...

Shit. I forgot to insult you, Dr. Manpurse... my bad:

Ummmm... you're a smelly horse cock wrapped in rotten tomato skins...?

Dr. Mantodea said...

I believe that fulfills the minimal contractual obligations. That’ll keep the WoW legal team off our asses.

The Angry Piper said...

Hey Mantis...you're up for profilin'.

Tomorrow.

Toyi said...

Maybe we can run a program where we can put homeless to work and do something to earn money... and see if that was the problem after all lol

Christopher said...

Yeah, and one more thing...

As I embark upon a costly medical recovery... I see the value of an American Health Care System above all costs.

Oddly, when I was below the poverty level and was sick for 3 months witha mystery illness, I was treated as a second class citizen because I had no Health Insurance.

Luckily, some kind doctors gave me their entire supply of sample med to get me well.

My bite comes from this hatred for America and God (by whatever name).

In most countries, we'd all be in jail juts for posting what e post. And 'God' to most believers is not 'an old man with a long white beard'.

Call it what you wnat, but don't mock my beliefs or Toyi's. Share yours and find the similarities people. Unify and unite.

The angry people are angry for a reason. We blame the wrong ills and accept prefab solutions. What about just helping first and sorting out the theoligical/political differences after?

Murk.

Toyi said...

oh defenetly you can't speak upngs some issues in other countries, IDK if by any chance you have checked any spanish channel, check the news and pay attention carefully when reporters ask spanish pedestrians on the street their opinion about political issues or their frank opinions about social issues, people automatically dodges the cameras or they sort of look away or cover themself just leaving their eyes visible... yeah man you can't talk about nothing cause you never know what might happen to you later... its a safe move, I wouldn't do it myself.

Again, I am a huge supported for universal health care. I think this saves health care in this country.

a very good post indeed.
I'd like to share something with all of you. This is not for my personal edification, however I would like more people to get involved in things like this.

My family is rather fortunate. My parents are comfortable, and my sisters and I are all married and relatively financially comfortable. When christmas comes around, we all made a decision. None of us really need anything, and we all have spouses to do gift exchanges with. (my sister has horrible gift ideas, too). So, instead, we 'adopt' an underprivileged family. Basically, we found a charity that assists homeless families in finding a home. These families are generally single mothers with young children who have ended up homeless. Well, now that they have a home, apartment, what have you, they have NOTHING to put in it. That is where my family comes in. We make a list of household things people need - refridgerator, washer and dryer, microwave, tv, pillows, sheets, towels, toaster, stereo, dishes, glasses, and so on. We each pick a few items, and purchase them. We then bring these items to the charity, and they are presented to the family on christmas, in their new home. We do this anonymously, so the family doesn't know who bought all these things. They just know that there are people out there who actually care about others, and now these folks who were so down on their luck have the basic 'comforts' that we all take for granted.

It is my wish that everyone in the middle and upper classes, instead of giving each other crap they don't need each christmas, or whatever holiday you like, if we all did something like this, there'd probably be a hell of a lot less homeless people out there.

So, that's the story. I wanted to tell you all this, because maybe you too will decide this year that you don't need that santa shaped pot holder or that fancy espresso machine. maybe someone else could use something as simple as a pillow to rest their head on.

oh, and piper. i even love you. so blow me.

Christopher said...

I hate the concept of gift giving period. I think Americans give too many gifts.

Hobbs, I like the idea.

If I had the spare dime (everything is being sunk into the construction of the new torture wing of the Palatial Murk Estate) I'd consider doing the same.

The Angry Piper said...

Oh, I so know I'm gonna wind up on a rack in that torture wing, and Mrs. Murk is gonna be turning the crank.

Hobbs...altruism and charity aside, I'm still going to end you. Merry Christmas, Oldy Hawn.

Mantis: I know I said you'd be profiled today. I lied. I meant tomorrow.

Toyi said...

Let me take this on a different direction, well give food to someone is nice but is something very very superficial, people need food but they need something better to their souls, I don't mind giving few cents or what I don't need anymore, but what about giving your precious time? teaching somebody how to make a better living? what about visiting the prisoners or going to the hospitals or nursery homes and give some nice hope with you your own image. The men in our family go every single wednesday to Jail and whoever want to listen seats near them, and tell you one thing, there are more people that volunteer for this type of thing, and amazingly, they all are Christians, nobody else care for what prisoners are feeling or thinking, I don't mean to cover every Christian under this because there are indeed people that thinks like what you have posted, but is not very smart to enroll all of them in one statement.
I would love to go to Jail too but lol they don't allow girls cause become a mess.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0