Why I Live in New England

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Don’t think The Angry Piper can cook? Well, you’re wrong. I’m about to bust out one of my all-time favorite recipes for summer. I made it last night, in fact.

We’re spoiled here in New England. We have the best seafood in the country, hands-down. Sure—you folks in the Pacific Northwest have your geoducks, your Alaskan king crab and your salmon. You folks on the Gulf Coast have your grouper, shrimp and crawfish. Doesn’t matter. New England is the place to be if you want really great seafood. Our fish form the elite snobbery of the culinary world.

You still arguing? Two words for you, snapperhead: “Maine Lobster”. Bam!

Now, I’m really spoiled, because not only do I live in New England, I happen to live next to the biggest commercial fishing port in the United States. Growing up, I was half-jokingly referred to as “The Seagull” by my father; because like my namesake, I would descend upon any tasty seafood and devour it noisily, as well as aggressively defend my prize against any and all who would seek to share. (Of course, seagulls will eat pretty much anything, so it wasn’t really a flattering or cool name, but whatever.) In fact, there are only two things in the entire ocean I do not care for: octopus and oysters. Octopus is a popular dish in the mostly Portuguese community where I live; yet despite having eaten it many different ways I just can’t like it. It’s a texture thing. Oysters, to me, taste and look and feel like snot. I had my first oyster in an outdoor café in Paris, while gazing at the Eiffel Tower at night. It was a Hemingway moment—until I gagged and hawked that vile oyster onto the sidewalk, much to the disgust and chagrin of the (predominantly French) café patrons.

But on to the recipe, which requires another kind of shellfish: the lowly mussel.

I love mussels. They’re plentiful year-round, cheap as hell, and quick and easy to cook. And they taste awesome, especially if you follow the recipe below. I know about 10 different ways to make mussels, but this recipe is my favorite.

Start with two lbs. of mussels. Although that sounds like a lot, remember most of the mussels’ weight is in their shells, which you don’t eat. I prefer Prince Edward Island mussels, if available, because they’re smaller and more flavorful, but any mussels will do. The mussels should smell faintly of the ocean. Don’t be a choad and buy mussels that are dry and stink like the docks at low tide.

As any of you who have read my blog know, The Angry Piper hates facial hair, and mussels are no exception. Clean and de-beard the mussels by scrubbing their shells with a stiff brush. Then THROW AWAY any mussels that don’t close when you smack the shells with the back of a knife; these are dead. There are many things you don’t want to get in this life, and trust me, shellfish poisoning is high on the list. Unless, of course, you enjoy uncontrollable vomiting and shitting. Then, by all means, cook and eat the dead ones.

Next, melt half a stick of butter in a stock pot or deep saucepan that’s large enough to accommodate all your mussels. Sauté at least 6 cloves of freshly-chopped garlic (I use more), until it’s soft. Next, add 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half, and one bell pepper, also finely sliced, and cook for 2 minutes or so. Add 1 tsp. of garlic powder, 1 tsp. of dried red pepper flakes, and 1 Tbsp. of pepper juice (skim the top liquid of a jar of crushed red pepper). Stir well, and cook until the pan is very hot (about 1-2 minutes).

Next, add your mussels and give them a good stir to coat them with the sauce. Cover and simmer for about 3-4 minutes, until the shells open. Then add ½ cup or so of good white wine—don’t be a loser and use shitty supermarket cooking wine or your mussels will taste like it. Make sure you wait until the shells open so the mussels best take the flavor of the wine. Stir them again and cover, cooking them for another 2 minutes or so until they’re falling out of their shells.

To serve: ladle a generous portion into a bowl and cover with the sauce. Throw out any mussels that didn’t open (see “uncontrollable vomiting and shitting”, above). Serve with crusty bread to mop up all the juices, and compliment the meal with a bottle of the cold, white wine of your choice (I prefer Sauvignon Blanc) or a light beer (like Corona). I’ve been known to put away 2 lbs. of mussels (and a couple of bottles of wine) by myself, so if you have a lot of guests, increase the recipe.

I make this about once a week in the summer. It would be a great dish to make for an outdoor get-together at Dr. Murk’s palatial estate.

Too bad he’s dead.

13 comments:

Toyi said...

uhm I don't like Oisters or shrimps... but I will take some crabs,loabsters and fish those are my favorite seafood.

Wow...He can cook too? What can't the Angry Piper do??

MMMMMM piper muscles

Hojo said...

Sure, you can enjoy your high class company with your saucy mussels, but nothing beats the entertainment you get from rednecks at a good southern crawfish boil. Not to mention the runny nose and tears from the copious amounts of spice and the fact that if you rub your eyes any time within 4 hours after eating crawfish you'll wish you hadn't.

Mozilla's spellchecker picked up "crawfish" as a misspelled word. Mozilla doesn't know what it's talking about. Anyone spelling it "crayfish" better be either a scientist or good at dodging bullets.

The Angry Piper said...

You'll notice I spelled it "crawfish", even though "crayfish" live in the ponds 'round these parts.

And round here, we don't eat dinky crayfish, we eat LOBSTER!

Hojo said...

Yes, Piper, and I commend you for that. I would have questioned your seafood credibility had you spelled it any other way.

YPG said...

Well if you must talk about sea food I am more spoilt than you are.

I may not have atlantic seawater fish in my local fish market but I do have their Indian Ocean/ Arabian Sea/ Bay of Bengal cousins.

Not to mention various fresh water fish and the crab, squid, lobster, prawn, etc.

So not only do I have 3 times the variety, but also lesser price.

Eg. 1 kg of Black pomfret comes for about Rs. 160-180
Thats 2 pounds for less than 5 dollers.

Not too sure, but I think it's cheaper here than there. Could be wrong though.
Ofcourse im in Delhi right now, which is inland. So the price for seafood is really hight here.

In Goa or Mumbai it'd be a lot cheaper.

YPG said...

However! ..... I can't cook.

New Bedford MA is the number one Fishing Port in the US, it specializes in Lobster, Cod, Flounder, Halibut, Shrimp, etc.

It is nice, I can go to say a local shop like Kyler's Catch and get fresh off the boat lobster for like $6.99 a lb.

The Angry Piper said...

That's where I buy my musels, bucko.

I really want a big fat lobster tail right now...accompanied by a nice fat filet mignon.....OMG....and either a stout Port or a hearty Merlot.

I never crave that! WTF? You guys must be trying to brainwash the Wowees around here!

Bravo sir, bravo.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0