The Dining Room Remodel

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Or As I Affectionantely Call It . .
The Room That Should of Only Taken 3 Days to Redo, if My Wife was not Paralyzed Room.

This one was was fun but a bit tiring. You see we started with this.

Our dining area is the middle part of what is essentially a 30' long by 14' wide room. It begins with the front door and front foyer as you see in the bottom pic (the door that is open leads to the cellar, the blonde woman was our AWESOME real estate agent Darlene Alfreres Azevedo, (I highly recommend her). And ends in the kitchen (top pic, yes that is Malach about 25lbs heavier that he is now) and yes you can see the pink ribbon. So you can see the problems with the Decor right away. It is very dark, it is country kitsche hell, and it has ugly brown paneling.

So the wife and I agreed upon a color scheme based upon and Indian/Kashmiri tea set we own, mostly her idea to begin with, I set up the color patterns. This leaves with this:


As you can see, very dramatic change. Before I begin, there is still some unfinished business. The entire floor is getting redone, that is my next project, probably in laminate, from foyer to kitchen. Also, the hanging light, which can be moved to the left with the table, is getting replaced, and we are going curtain shopping next week. As you can also see, I did not do the scrolling (if you look at the second pic foreground you can just barely make out a tea cup from the set) as after decorating I felt it would be too busy. This also shows what you can do with multiple colors; if you count the kitchen, there are 5 colors at play in this space. The off white and green are in both rooms tying them together.

Wallpaper was stripped, 3 layers, the blue which was more modern, a 1970's colorful style, and a early 1900's paper. To my surprise there was early 1900's drywall, which was a huge plus if you have ever worked with your typical New Englad lathe and plaster. I wanted to rip the paneling down, but the wife won that battle and I must admit, it looks good painted (this crap is all over the house, so I get rip the rest down). A lost of intricate edging, but it was worth it.

Gone is the country look, and here is a post modern, interpretation. The color is very cool, and is not only Indian, it could easily pass for Mayan. No huge surprises in this one. It also goes good with our collection of foreign laterns.

I am Malach, and I should be a designer on trading spaces.

12 comments:

That really does look nice. It creates an appearence of more space. It's fresh and sort of Springy too. Good job!

Yeah, lightening the color, everyone says it looks huge (large room anyway).

*snicker-snort-giggle*

The Angry Piper said...

You're certainly gay enough to be a designer on Trading Spaces.

Tainted~Love said...

Wow so nice!

Remodled dining room sex is the BEST!

No it isn't.

How do you think the red got on the walls

Oh so gross! LALALALALA! I can't hear this! LALALALALALA!!

NICE.

Toyi said...

NIce, it does look bigger.

That what she said

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0