Three things a Democratic Congress should do at once

Monday, November 06, 2006

Dear Madame Speaker Pelosi,

I hope Wednesday morning finds you as the incoming Speaker of the House. If it does, I ask you to immediately do three things; things that should have been done some time in the last six years but were ignored. These three laws go to the foundation of our Democracy: the credibility of the Vote.

1. Change Veteran's Day from November 11th to the First Tuesday of every November. The day we go out to vote should be a federal holiday; working people should have the ability to vote and not have to worry about missing work or a decrease in their pay that week.

2. Require all voting machines to produce and accurate written record that can be available for recounts if requested and mandatory random audits during each election. Your vote only counts if someone counts your vote.

3. Institute an Election Day Lottery. Sadly, Americans - many moderates - are turned off by the behavior of candidates, parties, and supporters. So much so, that they stay away from the poll booth. We need to institute a $1 million dollar lottery in each state for everyone who casts a vote. That should serve as enough of an incentive to counteract the apathy and disgust that our election seasons are routinely creating.

These three simple laws would make a great, positive impact on our Democracy and on the credibility of the Vote.

Please, Madame Speaker, do this for every voter.

Yours Truly,
The Angry Veteran

14 comments:

The Angry Piper said...

While I think that more voters is always a good thing, more INFORMED voters would be better. Not the assclowns who show up hoping to win a million bucks.

JUst a thought.

Kudos, AV. Bravo, in fact. Brilliant.

and Piper, you just want to keep the assclowns coming to your house, not going out to vote!
you slut!
by the way, i think i overpaid you last time, but you can consider it a tip, handsome!

We can only do what we can do. If more people plan on going to the polls, hopefully more people will talk about it and be better informed over all.

Some of the biggest ass clowns of them all consider themselves "very well informed." And I'm sure some very well informed people who are simply either disgusted or feel like their vote doesn't matter don't go vote.

We need to create more opportunity, incentive, and credibility in our voting system.

Thanks Hobbs.

I'll be sending this letter, for real, if circumstances permit, on Wednesday.

The Angry Piper said...

Hopefully you won't be signing it "The Angry Veteran."

I agree with both points. The big issue I see, is that most people are lazy and can't take 30 seconds to go vote.

Toyi said...

^or the freedom I will say... In my country if you don't vote you go to jail, and also there is a big issue with corruption with ballots.

Once I was part of the comete in a voting area and I tell you I had to fight the Urn at the end, I was the secretary and I had to count the votes and make a report, a rare group showed and they tried to grab the urn from my hands, I have no idea how a manage to lock my fingers and no matter what they did they just couldn't pull it... as I yelled a crowd started comming in and that weird group left... oh I loved to see my dad's cracking laugh while saying "oh you are fearless" lol
In ES there is something called "Dry law" and people can't have drinks 2 days before elections because things can warm up in bars on political differences ending in tragedy.

You cannot force people to vote either, that is also not democracy.

Toyi said...

oh and figure, it was a "Democratic Christian" Gov...to be more precise the name of the party was PDC "Democratic Christian Party" and their flag was green with the fish in the middle.

Christopher said...

They could also go fuck themselves just like they do every other election.

Tainted~Love said...

Agreed and I hope you do send this ....cause She won!!!!!

I will be sending this letter to The Speaker of the House tomorrow.

Christopher said...

I hate real democracy in action...

You think you hate it now, wait until the next set of elections in Iraq. Holy Shiitte!

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0