RENT a WoW review.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Malach is lucky . .
him and the wife got to see RENT the opening year with all the original cast. I found the play a powerful and moving voice for my generation. It touched your heart as it touched a nerve and dealt with issues usually not seen in big time theatre like AIDS, drug use, homelessness, and homosexuality. It was funny, riveting, and emotionally draining, and was a inspiration to me artistically.

RENT does have it problems, but overall, it is extremely good live.

The wife and I rented the 2005 Movie. It is something we have wanted to see for awhile a finally got the chance to see. The film was good, though not as good as the musical. There of course are some changes here and about the film as compared to the musical, mainly addtion of dialogue and cut of some songs. But overall, if you like the musical, you will like the film.

RENT is set in 1989 - 1990, in New York City's, Alphabet City. It centers around a group of artist and musicians struggling to survive in in the early 90's NYC, under the shadow of HIV/AIDS and Heroin. Much of the the peice is heavily influenced by Puccini's La bohème and has a lot of the that same feel and culture. It chronicles a year in the life of 8 friends as they struggle with addiction, AIDS, being poor, love, and their creative vision.

The music is also very good. Malach commands you to see it.

I am Malach and Oh lover I'll cover you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT? YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE TO ME BECAUSE I HAVE THE HIV?

Hey, that was my answering machine in college:

Allo, did is Pedro Zamora, wha you know wan ta talk to me cuz I have de AIDS?

That play bored me. I liked the South Park cover of it though.

Tainted~Love said...

I've never seen it live, but have seen the movie. I think seiing it live would be better. I liked the movie ...it just wasn't LIVE, so it went on and on and on. But still it wasn't that bad.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0