MySpace . . . Tool of the Devil, or Socialization of the Future?

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Malach's MySpace experiment.
I am sure most of you are familiar with MySpace. Now I am not going to go on a tirade about the evils of MySpace, the predators there, and the overall stupidness of socializing via MySpace, what I am going to talk about is Malach's MySpace experiment. First, this is my MySpace, some of our other contibuters also have a MySpace account. Malach's wife even has a MySpace. But enough of that.

What's good?
Well first if you have anything on the web you want people to see, put up a MySpace Account, why? Hits, Baby, and I have yet to find a better site that gets you this kind of traffic. My site has over 150,000 hits alone from MySpace, and I have only had a MySpace account since December, this is by about 50,000 the site I get the most hits from ALL TIME.

Second, do you know how easy it is to advertise there? Beyond putting up all the linkable banners? They have a few features I use on a regular basis. Bulletins. Bulletins are messages you can send to everyone in you friend network, in Malach's case that is 493+ friends. In turn, my friends can repost the bulletin to all their friends. MySpace has 7 million users.

I also get more "fans" contact me via MySpace, than I do via e-mail and forums combined. I was surprised, now I wonder what would happen if I ever use my IM. Now, you all realize Malach doesn't turn away any friend requests, which to me is just more people visit the site.

Also, and this is something I just recently tapped into is the school listings. For example, Malach's high school. Not only can I tap into people I haven't seen or talked to in years, like my nude fitness model friend (we had a nice MySpace convo the other day, I went to Catholic Grade School and High School with Nikki), but I can leave a bulletin for all the Stang Bangers I want.

Interestingly, it is a very easy way to download music and discover new bands, and any band whose out there has a MySpace account.

What's Bad?
Well, beyond the child molesters, and sexual predators (and trust me, there are a lot of horny idiot male and female there), there are a few annoying things. MySpace whores, and there are a lot of them. Don't get me wrong, their fine, when they are whoring you out, but they are annoying the rest of the time. What is a MySpace Whore you ask? Take a look. Basically, they just want as many friends as they can get by any means possible, and they send very annoying bulletins.

What else, I also find it very weird the people who do a large chunk of their socialization via MySpace (or for that matter, IM's). The conversations always seem pretty ultra vapid. Perhaps I am just an old fogey though.

What Kind of People MySpace?
I was surprised, that is was not all annoying teens. Now granted, these people could theoreticall be anyone, but it is interesting:

Political Activists
Occultists
Transvestites
Mind Expanders
Other Webcomic Artist (Man Love in the house)
Old Ladies
Fuggin's Cool Ass Underground Rappers
The Devil Himslef
Person just out of Mental Institutions
People with God Complexes.
Pro Wrestlers/Actors
Conspiracy Theorists
Sluts
Former Presidents
Man Whores
And I guess I could go on and on.

Summation?
I don't really have one, or perhaps I do. You got a website? Shit to sell? Want to get noticed? Join MySpace. If you kids are on MySpace, watch 'em like big brother.

I am Malach and you want to go w4w? Contact me. (Only MySpace People will get that).

6 comments:

Speaking of MySpace, what'd you think of my rant on the bulletin?

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate generalizations especially when it comes to religion.

*steps off my soap box*

You know, I think I'll blog about it!

I get so many bulletins in the course of a day, because of the amount of friends I have, I miss alot of them, send it to me via message.

I re-posted it here above you.

The Angry Piper said...

it still bugs me that you have more friends than I do. I'm way cooler than you, loser.

But Mal keeps jumping on those whore trains for publicity, Pipe. He's not cooler, he's strategic.

He'll be sorry when the 45 year old guy with cookies and condoms shows up at his house.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0