Changing History

Friday, April 28, 2006

Last night on the ABC World News I listen to a story that intrigued me. Some Spanish recording artists along with a producer have re-recorded the National Anthem. They have done this in spanish and have also changed some of the lyrics. Granted the song sounds good and it’s great that spanish speaking people can now sing along, but to change the words to make it "better sounding", come on. I am not a raciest person, (I hate everyone equally), but this story burned me. I see some of the good points they provided as to why they have done this, but still ....it’s the American National Anthem, not the Mexican National Anthem, not the Canada National Anthem .....how can they change it and feel justified in their actions? I am proud to be an American, is it fair that everyone should be included since this is "the land of the free"? Is it right for them to change the lyrics? This is a piece of history, a well known song. I just don’t know how to feel about it. What’s your views on this subject?

5 comments:

I am mixed. While I applaud the attempt for Hispanic and Hispanic Americans to inspire patriotism in other Hispanic, I also go back to my favorite:

"If I moved to France, I would sure as Hell learn French."

CNN had a nice summary article:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/28/anthem.inspanish.ap/index.html

Seeing how most Americans couldn't stand up and get all the words right in English or tell you who wrote the original, I can't see this being that big of a deal.

It's a VERSION of the National Anthem. They changed some lyrics and put it in Spanish. Jimmy Hendrix got rid of ALL the words and put it to a screaming electric guitar - also a VERSION of the Anthem.

It's not like the Congress is changing the official anthem of the nation or the language it is sung in. Just a version.

Hojo said...

I apologize for the following pun:

Was the Spanish version written by Francis Scott Que?

Malach is right, though. Should American change itse;f for foreigners' benefit, or should the foreigners change themselves for their benefit. If they rewrite the Constitution in Spanish I am going to boycott El Chico's.

AngryMan said...

Hey, man, how hard is it to fill out some paperwork and come here legally?

Tainted~Love said...

Mal, I so agree.

Angry Veteran, I do understand that it's just a version.. smiles.

Hojo, lmao.

Angryman, very true ...how hard can it be.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0