The American Boss Strikes Again!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

In reference to my previous article, check out this email I received from an old colleague of mine who, until recently, was still working at a technology company in Massachusetts that shall remain nameless:



Hi Everyone,

If you're getting this, it means that you don't work with me, and may not read my online journal. So I wanted to give you a sort of heads-up.

The past few years at my job have been really, really bad. (something a lot of you already know)

The company was recently sold and I have not had a raise in over four years. In fact, I get treated like crap for working hard. Instead of more money, I got more work and was eventually doing the work of four people. Recently, the stress has led to me having panic attacks where I can't breathe and my heart hurts.

I saw my doctor and am being treated for them. I saw my boss and am being ignored for them.

I could go on and on but I will spare you that. ;)

Thursday morning, I had two panic attacks before 11:00 AM. And the crap just kept coming. People were literally lining up to scream at me.

Heart hurt, could not beathe...good stuff.

So I got a little box and put all my stuff in it, and walked out. I called my boss (he was Christmas shopping, I was alone in my entire department) and explained (actually, I sort of told him where to stuff the job). He asked me to stay another week or two and I sort of laughed and that was that.


I got in my truck and drove to the doctors' office. And then home.

So...I am currently unemployed for the first time since I was 16. Jill is still working, of course. We'll be fine until I find a job that does not cause me physical harm. But I just wanted everyone to know.

And of course, if any of you know a company looking for an experienced IT Project Manager, please let me know. My resume is polished up and ready to be emailed! (in fact, I had an interview yesterday)

It's a little scary, to be honest. But I know I'm going to find the right job soon. And it's better to be uncertain of the future than dead of a heart attack at 31.

So. wish me luck. And interviews. Thanks for reading.

Tom

"In light of recent events, I'm instituting a new policy: I'm asking questions."

5 comments:

Is that better, Malach?

I am surprised there are still companies like this out there? Didn't 1983 end a long time ago?

Anonymous said...

Nope.

Toyi said...

oh wow sorry to hear that, but I guess is good news to be away from a job that only causes damages like that lol
3 days ago I received an e mail from my former boss (one that I had to run from cause I had to beg my pay check) he was apologizing for his awful treatment and also for letting me go, yeah I found out his other staff person was leaving (cause he e mailed me the day before) so just check that, my former boss just needed a person that knows what is doing so he doesn't have to train him/her (cause is not easy for him cause he was complitely unable to train me, that is why I know) okay I had to get it on my own and he knew I was good at it, but he never liked to admit it or praise it.
Now he comes saying oh you were so good, I should've never let you go... screw that.

YEAH! SCREW THAT!

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0