Postcard from the Campaign Trail

Friday, September 28, 2007


It’s always an adventure to go behind the scenes at a gathering of the Presidential candidates, and I try not to miss one because there’s usually an open bar and you just know that eventually Hillary is going to punch out Obama I feel it's my duty as an American and the political process is quite fascinating.

I was at a Republican gathering a few weeks ago, reveling in all the American-ness the Republicans always exude like Hi-Karate aftershave, and I decided to talk to a few of the candidates to see what was new.

Fred Thompson was snoring peacefully in the corner and nobody seemed to want to wake him up, so I tiptoed by and found Mitt Romney, who was busy stuffing a dog leash and a roll of duct tape into his suit jacket pocket.

“Nice to see you!” Mitt boomed, “I remember you! You’re from Massachusetts, the state I was governor of and have never been to in my life!”

An aid tapped him on the shoulder and Mitt twitched.

“Abortion!” he exclaimed. “I’ve always been opposed, at least as long as I’ve been opposed, which was before I wasn’t opposed, which I never was!”

The aid frowned and tugged at the candidate’s elbow. Mitt turned on him.

“What? I’m opposed to abortion, aren’t I?” he asked.

The aid took out a day-planner and began looking through it, flipping pages. “September?” he asked. “It’s still September?”

“Of course it is,” Mitt snapped. “I’d be a pretty foolish candidate if I didn’t know what month it is.”

“Then you’re still opposed to abortion,” the aid said with relief, snapping the book shut.

“Always have been!” Mitt boomed with a gleam in his eye.

I excused myself and was heading for the food table when Rudy Giuliani stopped me.

“Hey, Look at this!” Rudy said.

As I watched he squeezed his eyes shut, his forehead furrowed, and his mouth became a thin, taught line –he was squeezing his butt cheeks together hard enough to crack a walnut. Rudy’s face went white and I was about to say something when I realized that his face wasn’t just pale- it had actually turned bright white. What hair he has left had turned red, like flag stripes across his wide white scalp, and the numbers 9-11 had appeared in blue across his forehead. Rudy finally released and the colors faded.

“Like it?” he asked, gasping for air. “I had fiber optics implanted all over my head! I think this will get the message across!”

He took a deep breath and scrunched up again and the red white and blue returned- and then he lost consciousness and slid onto the floor.

I stepped over Rudy and went to look for the bar. I’d had enough politics for one day, or at least enough politics while sober.

Next Week: The Democrats

17 comments:

hahahaha. you shouldve stolen mitt romneys duct tape and strapped fred thompson to the chair while he was sleeping. it would've totally taken the attention away from rudy and his fiber optics douchebaggery.

Awesome, Mitt Romney I am sure approves!

Forrest Proper said...

T-Bird- Damn! What a chance I let slip by. I don't think fast on my feet like that. You'll have to come along to the next one.

Malach- Mitt used to approve, but he a change of heart and now he doesn't.

of course i'll go on the next one. i'll wear my old hooters outfit, and we can either drag the closeting gay republicans out of the closet, and set the lecherous ones up for a scandal. it will be good times!

Mike said...

Politics and sobriety simply do not go together. That's all there is to it.

Hojo said...

Ron Paul couldn't be questioned because he was too busy kicking too much ass.

The Angry Piper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Angry Piper said...

Colonel: brilliant stuff.

Tequila: Hooters outfit? You just got interesting.

Sara Sue said...

You keep reporting like this and I just might take an interest in politics again! Got any dirt on what went on in the mens room?

Hojo and his Ron Paul! Write an article with some of his cool them music, dinkus.

Forrest Proper said...

T-Bird- sounds good! We'll make all their heads explode. pop! pop! pop!

Mike- amen.

HoJo- Ron's at least consistent. Consistently wrong, sure, but consistent, he gets points for that. I once actually considered voting for Alexander Haig in a primary because he seemed to be the only candidate who knew what the hell he stood for.

Angry Scot- Thanks! I loved your posts on your visit to Ireland.

Sara Sue- He's not gay! Larry just has Hyperactive Foot Tapping Syndrome.

Malach- Wait, wasn't Ron Paul the Pope once?

Eve said...

Great stuff Colonel!

Toyi said...

WHAT????
Is he trying to confuse me or is he confused ... really?

lol

isn't that easy to support your ideas? seems easy to me right Malach?

Forrest Proper said...

Eve- thanks!

Toyi- Confused? We're talking 18-month long political campaigns, why would anyone be... um, oh. What was the question again?

Toyi said...

nah i was making fun of the answers in the post, that is it

unfortunatly is a reality (politicians seem to be clueless)

Forrest Proper said...

Toyi- I know, I was making fun too.

Toyi said...

I admit I didn't read deep into it, I started but got distracted by walk in customers and my boss, lol it has been like that lately, I haven't been complitely able to post the way I was used to in the past.

sorry, in that case maybe I just shouldn't post.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0