Heath Ledger, Rest in Peace

Friday, January 25, 2008

I know I haven't posted here in a long, long time. I regret it dearly, but the good ol' public school system has really put a damper on my creative endeavors. How sad it is, then, and how angry I am that my return must be because of celebrity death news. I was infuriated by the extended, beating-a-dead-whale coverage of Anna Nicole Smith, and since then I have been jaded by anyone and everyone dying. However, I found something today that deals with the recent death of Heath Ledger that relates in a big way to a post I did a long time ago.

It must have been at least two years ago (the WoW has been around THAT long?) that I posted this, in which I railed against a radical Baptist church for protesting the funerals of American soldiers. It has since been two years, and during this time I have lost my support for organized religions and my hope in those who follow them. Some things remain static, however, as it turns out that these closed-minded, judgmental, completely-missing-the-entire-message-of-religion whack jobs are at it again, this time protesting the funeral of Heath Ledger. Why? For doing his job, of course.

Let's get something straight (figuratively, of course): I'm not what you would call a "fan" of Ledger's. I loved him in The Patriot, but I never really saw any of his other movies. I'm not defending him because I am a huge Ledger follower or anything. I'm defending him because he is a person, a person who deserves to have his memory preserved, a person whose family and friends deserve to mourn him uninterrupted.

Heath Ledger starred in Brokeback Mountain, a movie which garnered much controversy when it was released in 2005. Redneck white trash religious zealots who knew only that the two main characters were homosexual railed against the film. I'm not here to discuss the film in itself, though. I'm writing this merely to point out some objective facts, facts that maybe these uptight ignorant bastards have overlooked.

This movie came out in 2005. That was three years ago. Get over it. Even comedians have stopped making gay cowboy jokes, which is a clear indicator that something is of the past. Since then we've seen the release of The Da Vinci Code and Golden Compass, two movies that are at least relevant to religion in general. Please, go raise a fuss about something a little more recent, and maybe then you'll be taken seriously.

Secondly, Heath Ledger is what people with any sort of education would call an "actor." He gets paid to portray characters formulated by someone else completely in movies. That's his occupation. He portrayed a character who was a homosexual cowboy. He wasn't gay himself, and him dying has nothing to do with him playing a "degenerate" in a movie.

And finally, the man is dead. Wouldn't you, my dearest assholes, say that he has already faced the judgment that you seem to seek for him? I don't know the whole time frame between death and a meeting with the Big Man, but chances are it has already happened. You're too late, and what you have to say matters very little right about now. Let the lovers of that poor heathen mourn their loss in peace. You know what it's like to love, right? Right? Isn't that what Christianity's all about? Love? Why don't you take a little time to find some love yourself? I hear your siblings are looking better and better every day.

Sorry about the long time without posting, guys. For what it's worth, I've started maintaining a journal of ideas, which will hopefully at least spark up some creativity again. I'll try to post more often from now on.

17 comments:

Hojo,

The great thing about the WoW is there is no pressure to post. We knew you were around somewhere.

And now that Heath Ledger is dead, I guess you felt kinda creepy about spanking it to old Brokeback Mountain and have time for us again! HOJO'S BACK!!!! Hoorah!

Show your love people. Step up to the keys and insult tha man inclassic WoW fashion!!!!

You're still the best.

Hojo said...

Actually, my spankings-it to dead Heath Ledger have been more intense to leaving, breathing, acting Heath Ledger.

I agree with Hojo, let's go protest the protesters

YPG said...

I loved the post. Religious organisations should let people live their life and stop acting like/being dumb fucks.

Unknown said...

omg where have you been my whole life?

1--saw you on my blog, love yours!

2--I, like you dont particularly care for Ledger as an actor. hes okay. and i did love him in Brokeback Mountain. That said, I feel that his family should have the ability to respectfully and PRIVATELY mourn his death.

enough already.

Unknown said...

omg where have you been my whole life?

1--saw you on my blog, love yours!

2--I, like you dont particularly care for Ledger as an actor. hes okay. and i did love him in Brokeback Mountain. That said, I feel that his family should have the ability to respectfully and PRIVATELY mourn his death.

enough already.

it's never creepy to beat off to brokeback mountain no matter how many dead actors it contains.

unless youre crying while you beat off. then it's OFFICIALLY creepy.

Anonymous said...

OR while talking to your mom on the phone!

Hojo said...

People can beat off without crying?

They can try...

And, I know I'll get roasted for such talk, but not all people who are deeply Christian stalk funerals. We just like the deathy goodness.

i've heard tears make great lubricant, so maybe crying while beating off is a fantastic idea. certainly sounds cost effective.

Hojo said...

Yeah, I reread the article and was surprised by the strong anti-Christian undertone. I really don't mean to imply that ALL Christians are hypocritical, self-righteous nitwits. I just found it incredibly ironic that a church was sponsoring, in a way, this type of thing.

I've no problem with the idea of Christianity or its basic beliefs, values, etc. It's the flawed human application of such perfect ideas that makes me cringe.

Toyi said...

I am a Christina and when I deside weather or not watch something is because that don't follow my ideas, yet I am not a fan of impossing people what they should watch, well I can suggest if they ask but otherwise.

Now the main thing is that God's word is hard by itself, so hard that people can't stand it because is about doing what they don't want, is automatically going against human nature.

Now I will bring this to a center, not only Christians around here are "trying to impose their ideas" look at it closely, gays are, lesbians are, women are, men are...

Unknown said...

Toyi--gays, lesbians, women and men are not trying to squash out other groups of people, deam them harm or preach that their way is the best way. Most organized religion as a whole has a big fucking problem cramming thier shit down other peoples throats.

Case in point, your comment on this blog.

I believe the topic is letting Heath Ledger rest in peace, not if you or anyone else can handle the "wrath" of god. The problem is his family is trying to mourn his death and preserve his memory, not if he sinned while on this earth and certainly not that he deserves to burn in hell for all eternity for doing his job.

Toyi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Toyi said...

did my comment hurt you flower???

swallow it cause we are in a free country and you don't tell me what I should say here, apply your stupidity post to yourself

Toyi said...

did my comment hurt you flower???

swallow it cause we are in a free country and you don't tell me what I should say here, apply your stupidity post to yourself

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0