The Bullshit that is the Alexa ranking

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Alexa, another piece of internet garbage.
Everyone knows how important your Alexa ranking for your website. Advertisers, Wikipedia, and popular site rankings use it fairly exclusively to gauge the popularity of a site and relevancy. The better the ranking, the more popular the site, the more money you will make.

Well, Alexa is ALL BULLSHIT. Why? Alexa gauges the popularity of a site, not based on visitors, but based upon visits by owners of people with Alexa toolbars, the more people who visit, who have the toolbar, the more it increases you popularity ranking. So Malach tried an experiment a about a year ago, and one more recently. A year ago, he dowload a toolbar on three computers, and visited his site everyday. His site, over the course of 3 months went from having no ranking to being ranked 38,000 (in Alexa the lower the better, Yahoo for example is number 1). That meant, I had the 38,000th most popular site on the net, according the Alexa. That is inline with stuff like Gwen Stafani, or Maddonna's website. Again, That was just using 3 toolbars. Malach stooped using them for about 8 months and of course his site dropped to 2,000,526 most popular.

So more recently, he started just using one toolbar, to see how high he could get just using one. And here is what I have.

My Site went from 2,000,526 to 555,664 in the course of 3 weeks. This blog went from not ranked to 1,210,862, and both continue to shoot up a couple times a week. I am going to see who far I can get it up, with just the one, and where maxes out. I will keep you updated. Spread the word.

I am Malach, the Bullshit exposer.

3 comments:

and as of today both my site and the WoW have dropped about 20,000 places.

Another Update:

My site: 508,542
The WoW: 1,101,576

Anonymous said...

I had heard that Alexa changed their policy this year about how they rank sites my site rank was around the 1 million mark for months with very little traffic, go figure.

But now i have more legit traffic to my site but no alexa rank , so who knows, All I care is good quality traffic to my site everything else is just a number

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0