Dark Knight, A Review

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome to a World Without Rules
So, Malach and Dr. Murk went this afternoon to go see The Dark Knight. We were supposed to be joined by The Angry Piper, but he pulled a Otis Serungis on us.

The Dark Knight is of course the latest in the series of Batman movies, this being a sequel to the very good Batman Begins, and like it's predecessor has nothing to do with the Batman movies of the late 80's through 90's. Like those movies it attempts to move Batman away from the campy 60's version my parents grew upwith, and return Batman to what he really is.

It of course was excellent overall, Christian Bale once again does an decent job portraying a tough character to portray, playboy billionaire industrialist by day, and violent costumed vigilante by night. The polarity of a hero who is doomed to be the same as his villains.

This movie of course features Heath Ledger's version of the Joker, Gary Oldman retaining his role of Jim Gordon, and Aaron Eckhardt playing an awesome Harvey "Two Face" Dent. Maggie Gyllenhaal takes up the role of Rachel Dawes, the role Katie Holmes played in Batman Begins before she was kidnapped by Xenu. Micheal Caine returns as Alfred, and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox.

The casting is excellent, Bale does a adequate job in the Bruce Wayne/Batman role (better than any previous), even though his whispering disguised voice as Batman is kind of annoying; Ledger lives up to the hype as the Joker, a very dark, psychotic, insane genius version of him, maybe too insane, a bit far from the comic book version, but I prefer the Joker this way anyway (IE The Killing Joke). Eckhardt though, steals the show as Harvey Dent, and especially his transformation into Two Face.

The movie is a shade under 3 hours, and in that time explores mainly the Joker, and how he completes messes up Gotham City, from the Crime Lords, the Police, Harvey Dent, and Batman. While not giving a true origin of the Joker beyond little tidbits from the Joker himself ("ask me how I got my scars"), the movie explores the reasons for the Joker being, how Batman and Joker are the same person in a way, and Ledger plays up his psychotic brilliance perfectly. The Joker does these excellent choice based death traps, that add a real sense of nuttiness to the character. While Batman won't bring himself to kill, the Joker refuses to kill Batman, or he would have no reason for being. As he is Batman's greatest foe, Batman is his. As the Joker states in one great scene to the Bats, "You complete me". Better than Nicholson, but Mark Hamill still did the best Joker.

The Joker is eventually captured, but this is all part of his plan, and plan that turns Harvey Dent into Two Face, and further crumbles Batman and Bruce Wayne's world around him, by the end of the film, Batman is as wanted as the villains he fights. Wayne Manor is still ruins, and the love of his life is dead.

If you are any sort of fan of Batman, this is a must see movie, just for the portrayals of the Joker and Two Face. The movie is obviously open for a sequel, Batman's greatest enemy lives (though the actor portraying him didn't).

I have few complaints about the film. The first is it does not come across whether or not Two Face dies in the movie, neither myself nor Murk could figure that out. Also, this might be too realistic as a Batman movie, Batman almost seems out of place in his own movie, which is pretty much a dark gritty homicide drama. He was almost like if you had a pro wrestler leading a homicide investigation. Finally, it is the complaint I have about EVERY Batman movie. Why can they not ever get the costume so it looks cool, and not stiff, over armored, and more fluid like the comics? They could do it for the Spiderman movies, why not Batman? Perhaps they are trying to make it too realistic, Batman is a comic book hero, and does not look like one in this movies? He looks more like a armored martial artist. Use some CGI if you need too.

Was is better the Ironman? I am still debating that. But is get 3 1/2 Rubbersuitheads out of 4.

I am Malach, and you wanna know where I got my scars?

20 comments:

Dr. Mantodea said...

I saw it on the Imax. If you have not seen it on the Imax, get your lazy asses up to an Imax theater and see it AGAIN! It has a bunch of scenes that were shot on Imax film. And yeah... You can fucking tell. Holy shit. Oh, and the Watchmen trailer looks even gooder on the Giganto-screen.

I came so many times watching ths movie my liver came of out of my penis.

FreeOscar said...

I liked the realistic aspects of this Batman. I don't know anything about comic books so if I did I may have a different opinion.
The deep whisper was annoying.

Too realistic? What movie were you watching? He fell from 20 stories onto a car and walked away (and so did the girl).

FreeOscar said...

I've seen bats do that all the time.

Cash said...

Batman will die with his bat head on a pole.
That's what he gets for fighting Rotweilers.
LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION!

AngryMan said...

I've been struggling w/the "realistic" argument. I mean, it's a superhero movie, so you are limited in how real you can make it. You will have a costumed good guy and all sorts of odd bad guys, so it can't be too real. However, I think that this one tried to be like a crime drama, but it was prevented by the superhero genre from becoming a crime drama.
I liked how Nolan explores characters who believe that they have to pay for their sins as well as the concept "free will" (see Insomnia in particular). Two-Face was a great example of the latter. He said he was about chance, but the scene where he killed the mobster's driver cut strongly against that.

I have one word to sum up this movie: BORING. This was an absolute waste of 2.5+ hours of my life and I...

WTF. STRIKE THAT. REVERSE IT.

THIS MOVIE WAS ON BALLS.

I loved The Dark Knight. It was a stunning, epic film to say the very least.

I agree with some, not all, of the points made my Malach. I thought about the voice stuff too with Batman which annoyed me at times, but then I realized that in this day and age of highly recognizable celebrity voices (and clearly Bruce Wayne is a major celebrity) he would have no choice but to do something to disguise his voice. And seeing as talking like Elmo was right out, he'd have to do what he did which is to use a whispering, dark, deep tone.

Anyway, this movie made my fucking day and I only wished as I drove home that I was driving the Bat-Pod and not my scooter.

That is all.

Also, you might want to put a spoiler warning on this post as it does reveal some of the plot.

One more thing I thought of. It bothered me a little bit that the fate of the Joker kind of fizzled out at the end. His final scene was good, but it would have been nice to see something in addition to a bat-line about him going to jail and the SWAT Team just grabbing him.

Perhaps a long shot of him laughing inside Arkham (even placed after the credits?)

I don't know. I just felt that the Joker was so powerful and so well acted by Mr. Ledger that he deserved some sort of curtain call.

FreeOscar said...

I had sex with the joker.

AND ALL IT TOOK WAS TWO DOUBLE A BATTERIES!

HAHAHAHA!

Toyi said...

Oh my I haven't red the review, I haven't watch it yet lol

UK police release Bale on bail

LONDON, England (AP) -- Batman star Christian Bale was arrested Tuesday over allegations of assaulting his mother and sister, police and British media said.

The 34-year-old actor spent four hours at a London police station before being released on bail.

British media had reported that Bale's mother and sister complained he had assaulted them at the Dorchester Hotel in London on Sunday night, a day before the European premiere of his latest film, "The Dark Knight."

The Sun newspaper said police did not question the actor Monday because they did not want to interfere with the premiere of the movie.

Asked Tuesday whether Bale had been arrested, a London police spokesman did not refer to him by name but said: "A 34-year-old man attended a central London police station this morning by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault."

The spokesman spoke on condition of anonymity because force policy did not authorize him to be identified. British police do not name suspects before they are formally charged.

The force later said in a statement that the man had been released on bail pending further inquiries and told to return on an unspecified date in September.

Creepy said...

Several friends have asked me what I thought about the fate of Two Face. It never entered my mind that he didn't die. But maybe they left it that way to leave the door open.

The realism was cool, it wasn't a comic book movie, more like a crime drama that happened to include a comic book character.

I don't understand how we would assume that he DIDN'T die.

He had that "dead with the eyes open" expression on his face.

Anonymous said...

I will kick all your asses

Speak up, boy! We can't understand you!

YPG said...

The suit was less chunky than what he wore in the last film.
Also there was a scene in which Wayne tells fox about how he wants a more fluid suit. So I think they're building up to the real Batsuit.

The only movie I've seen after Star-Wars in which the villains are more impressive than the heroes.

Hey, Wal-Mart has the 1940's Batman Serials on DVD . . .I am thinking about it.

Creepy said...

I've got the serials on DVD. Cheesy goodness! SO politically incorrect.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0