Gary Gygax RIP

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax, whose name was no doubt mispronounced by most of his biggest fans when we were all kids, recently died at the age of 69. The geek community mourns.

The man was co inventor of D&D, sharing the role with Dave Arneson. His eccentricity resulted in a previously non existent hobby that became a source of entertainment for countless people. It has even warranted a story on CNN because there are likely a fair share of reporters there who also played RPGs.

It is not doubt that his actions have given us the current crop of more sophisticated computer games that actually require the player to take on a role and do something other than blow up meteors or alien space ships. (Though killing things and taking their stuff was always important).

He will be interred in a massive underground mausoleum, his tomb protected by deadly traps and improbably placed monsters. Visitors who wish to pay their respects are recommended to be of at least Level 8, and carry plenty of healing potions.

Thanks Gary.

5 comments:

He finally missed a Saving Throw vs. Death Magic . . . . I am crying right now

The Angry Piper said...

I am truly saddened by this.

I could care less. I'll never forgive him for Tomb of Horrors.

Oh, and the Piper and Malach BOTH work in jobs that pay too little and HELP PEOPLE!

The rest of you are wage slaves.

I too, would like to pay my respects to this visionary. We all take role playing games, tabletop and computer, for granted now. But he and Dave were the ones who saw a potential in tabletop wargaming that no one else did. Thank you Mr. Gygax.

In all probability, I could very well owe my career as an attorney to Gary Gygax. Playing D&D as a child lead me to read more, think more critically, and certainly made me argue about rules. I'm sure I owe D&D more than my lousy public school experiences in K-8.

From playing "Chainmail" around a table, to playing Oblivion on the PC, we owe Gary a great deal.

Rest in peace.

Vet,

Yup. I guess I do give a shit about his death. Stand corrected.

Still, Tomb of Horrors is not forgivable.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0