2008 Election

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Been awhile huh?

It's a historic moment in America right now. Barack Obama is our 44th President and he is the first African-American to be elected to that office. But, while the Presidential Election is over and done with. Here in my home state of California we are not finished yet, we still need to tally the votes for the various Propositions and Measures (as do other states).

One hot button issues in California is Proposition 8. Many of you may have heard about it, if not, it proposes to eliminate the rights of same-sex couples to get married in the state of California and will only recognize a marriage between a man and a woman as valid.

I can not begin to fathom the bigotry that this Proposition is based upon. While the issue of race has been all but eliminated in this country (yes, there are still racists out there I know) people still discriminate homosexuals. They usually hide behind the bible as a way to defend their views and stating that this is a "Judeo-Christian Nation."

They claim that schools will teach about gay marriage along with "regular marriage" and that kids are better with heterosexual couples. That's bullshit, and everyone knows it. Me and a whole slew of other people were never really taught about marriage, schools just don't touch upon that here. And the claim that kids are better with heterosexual couples is a total lie, it doesn't matter who a kids parents are. Whether they're black, white, asian, latino, gay, or straight; the only thing that matters is how the parents raise their kids.

It's sad too, a lot of people that support gay marriage are voting for Propostion 8. They believe that churches would get sued and kids will be taught about gay marriage.

At this moment I'm proud to be an American, and slightly more optimistic about the future. But I don't know how I feel about being a California. Disgusted? It's not the right word but it's close enough.

4 comments:

Hey come to Massachusetts, we love gay marriage and we just decriminalized possession of under one ounce of Marijuana

I'm so totally moving to Mass.

Prop 8 was passed. Sad day for the homosexual couples but I just found out that marriage is a required lesson in school. And guess who had it put there?

Yup - our religious leaders. So I think that once we get that stupid thing kicked out of schools, we should try this measure again.

Brandon also said that it wont be long before a lawyer takes this measure to court.

I, also, am proud to be an American today, but saddened as a Californian. Writing discrimination into our state Constitution is shameful. And even worse that the funding for it primarily came from Christians - Mormons and Catholics. xSo many Christians are loving, forgiving people; yet their Church hierachy spends their donations on politics of exclusion. Sad.

In addition, my friends, today I realize, that while I am still a Veteran, I am no longer angry. Today, I have hope. I know that soon I will not be living under the Administration that lied us into war and sent so many of my fellow soldiers to death. So, in catharsis, I am letting go of my moniker of The Angry Veteran.

I'm not sure what handle I should use, so Im just going to combine my age (Generation X)and my occupation (Attorney, or "Esquire") with a little play on words. Generation Xsquire, or Gen Xsq. for short.

There, I feel better.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Wand of Wonder 2.0